I’m not sure if it’s confidence that has come with age or just that I know more about what actually looks good makeup-wise but a light foundation with a gorgeous skin finish is all I ever look for these days. Of course with certain looks for the evening or if going for a vintage feel there is a place for an ultra matt, sculpted face but just not for my daytime.
Here are two super light but buildable and beautiful all time favourite foundations of mine and some tips on how to apply your foundation for a perfect second skin finish.
With a sheer to medium coverage MAC Face and Body is always the winner for me. It is semi-translucent, light, build-able, ultra natural and a gorgeous dewy finish! The only issue with F&B is that anyone with very oily skin will get to the 6 hour mark with a pretty shiny face…..but i really feel like it’s worth it. A little blot work and you are right as rain!
Nars Sheer glow is one of the most beautiful foundations I’ve ever used and works as a day and night foundation for me. As a make up artist you make so many blends of lummintaor, foundation and concealer to try and achieve what come in this one foundation. A beautiful luminous finish with just enough coverage. Always remember a little goes a VERY long way so use sparingly.
And some tips:
- Get your skin ready by moisturising before applying foundation as this allows it to glide on evenly and smoothly for a perfect finish.
- Always apply your foundation to the center of your face and blend it outward. To get the lightest, sheer layer of coverage use a synthetic brush or damp sponge.
- Conceal imperfections with a patting motion and then any dark circles with a peachy undertone to cancel out the colour.
- Very lightly set your makeup with a fine setting powder or something nice and sheer like MAC’s Mineralize.
- For a light highlight sweep MAC’s Soft and Gentle lightly over your brow bone, cheek bones and tip of the cupids bow.
The aim of these steps is to let your skin shine through and not to cover it in a blanket of foundation. This, I promise you will give you a much softer and youthful day time look. For those of you with excessively oily skin use a blotting product like MAC’s blot powder as it will prevent adding a heavier layer to your skin and maintain that gorgeous glow.
I hope you’ve picked up a few tips and as always any questions let me know!