I often get emails from aspiring make-up artists about what schools to attend to become a professional make-up artist. Well I can really recommend Avant Garde Make-up Academy in Drogheda. Emma Woods is the beauty and brains behind this fantastic school. She wanted to create an elite training academy that has the highest standard of education to realistically prepare you for a career in Make Up Artistry.
I met Emma a couple of years ago when we were both teaching at the LA Make-up Academy in Dublin. I was instantly impressed with her creative flair and professionalism. She has a wealth of experience under her belt in make-up artistry, she worked for MAC Cosmetics for years as well as countless fashion shows, tv, film and theatrical work. Emma has worked her magic on a whole host of famous faces including Pamela Anderson, Rihanna and Christina Aguilera! Now she will pass on all her talents and tips to those hoping to make a career out of this exciting profession. She has a fantastic ability to bring the best out of her students and inspire them to do make-up looks they would never dare to do.
The Avant Garde Make-up Academy strives to equip students with the skills for the road ahead in this incredibly competitive industry. The courses will take the students from the foundation level skill & develop their ability all the way to advanced techniques of make-up for High Fashion, Catwalk, Photographic and Special Effects. Specialist subjects covered include: Black & White photographic, Male & Mature make-up, Era & Period make-up, Fantasy & Theatrical make-up, tattoo covering & Body-painting. Students will then progress to make-up for high definition TV & Film, including straight aging, airbrushing, SFX & fitting facial hair & wigs. You will experience the highest level of training from Emma herself and also from international well renowned guest tutors who will concentrate in their specialised field of make-up. Avant Garde Make-up Academy & Studio take pride in only inviting tutors who are, themselves, leading make-up artists, who will bring with them an in-depth knowledge and awareness of the latest trends in make-up.
Speaking of guest tutors, Emma has just told me that Jeff Swan is coming over from America to teach Special Effects Makeup from Foundation Level to Advanced. He has worked on Hollywood Films, TV and Magazines. Jeff lives and works full time in LA, California and this is an exciting and superb opportunity!
This is the breakdown of the course:
Week 1, Foundation/Intermediate
- Training including proper setup of your workstation including cleanliness.
- Cuts, Coloring, Bruising, Scrapes, Blood, Use of Wax Buildup Wounds.
- Burns, Frost bite, Cadaver.
- Bald cap application and colouring, Old age, Use of Liquid latex, (Stretch and Stipple technique), Use of proper face coloring , using colored pencils, age spots, coloring teeth/ brows, hair laying, mustache etc.
- Zombie Painting Techniques and Face Construction and Skin Texturing of Zombie. Teeth-colouring, Pre-set teeth.
Week 2, Advanced
- Creature, Prosthetics Character, Fantasy, Trolls, Fairies, Lord of the Rings.
- New Techniques in SPFX.
- Make-up demos.
- Prosaide Transfers, Silicone, 3rd Degree.
- Practical Workshops for students and photo shoot on the last day. As well as expert advice on how to work in the industry and marketing yourself effectively.
Emma has said this course is normally priced at €1295, but as a special offer to any of my readers, it will be €1150. So if you are interested in doing the course be sure to say I sent ya! If you are interested in booking in call Emma Woods: 087 918 6198